Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Thursday, July 2, 2009


Read 1 Corinthians 4:8-13
Behind this passage lies the self-image of the Corinthians. They have been behaving as if they have arrived at the pinnacle of spiritual blessing -- as if the Kingdom of God has been realized fully in their midst -- as if they will be spared the trials and temptations of mere mortals. As a result, the Corinthians have become comfortable, self-satisfied and complacent, with an air of spiritual superiority.

The perspective which Paul has on his own life and fortunes is quite different. If the Corinthians are wise in Christ, Paul is a fool for the sake of Christ. If the Corinthians are strong in the gifts of the Holy Spirit, Paul is weak. They are held in honor, Paul in disrepute. Paul epitomizes the Christian spirit of nonretaliation: "When reviled, we bless; when persecuted, we endure; when slandered we speak kindly."

The C0rinthians continue to measure themselves by the standards of the world. Paul invites them, and us, into God's new order of a peace which the world neither gives nor takes away.

Lord Jesus Christ, I pray that you may fortify me with the grace of your Holy Spirit, and give your peace to my soul, that I may be free from all needless anxiety and worry. Help me to desire always that which is pleasing and acceptable to you, so that your will may be my will.

Grant that I may be free from unholy desires, and that, for your love, I may remain obscure and unknown in this world, to be known only to you.


Do not permit me to attribute to myself the good that you perform in me and through me, but rather, referring all honor to you, may I admit only to my infirmities, so that renouncing sincerely all vainglory which comes from the world, I may aspire to that true and lasting glory that comes from you. Amen

- Frances Cabrini

No comments:

Post a Comment