Monday, February 1, 2010

Monday, February 1


This stained glass window is found in the Central Church of Christ (Disciples), Orlando, Florida. In addition to this striking windows inside, CCC also has the oldest drive-in worship service in the nation. It began on November 23, 1952.

The church's guide to the stained glass windows describes the Wisdom Window as follows:
Wisom, as understood in the scriptures as coming from God, is more an ethical than an intellectual word. In the state of sin, man confused wisdom with intellectual and philosophical knowledge. Thus, St. Paul derided the Greeks for their seeking after wisdom. The wisdom of God is beyond the comprehension of man. Divine wisdom is not something man reaches for through the mind, but rather it is what God reveals. It is the final knowledge of good and evil.


The window explodes in all directions with a radiance of golden light which penetrates and enlightens all. At the center is the primary symbol of the Christian faith, the cross. We are reminded of Paul's words, "For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, it pleased God through the folly of what we preach to save those who believe...we preach Christ crucified" (I Corinthians 1:21-23).

Today's scripture continues Paul's discussion of "the wisdom of this age" and the deeper wisdom of God's Spirit. Read 1 Corinthians 2:6:-16.

Today's Prayer
Dear God, You are the All Wise Lord of All, seen and unseen.
I pray that you will reveal yourself to me in truth,
for too often I think of you in my terms
and build a concept of you out of cheap stuff.
Forgive the idolatry and vain pride of my efforts.
Enter my life, and fill me with your Holy Spirit.
Give me your blessing and show me your path,
that my life may honor you and bless others
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment