Sunday, May 24, 2009

Monday, May 25, 2009

Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, so long as ever you can. John Wesley

When I was young I was sure of everything; in a few years, having been mistaken a thousand times, I was not half so sure of most things as I was before; at present, I am hardly sure of anything but what God has revealed to me. John Wesley

Opening Prayer
O God, seeing as there is in Christ Jesus an infinite fullness of all that we can want or desire, may we all receive from him, grace upon grace; grace to pardon our sins, and subdue our iniquities; to justify our persons and to sanctify our souls; and to complete that holy change, that renewal of our hearts, which will enable us to be transformed into the blessed image in which you created us. O make us all acceptable to be partakers of the inheritance of your saints in light. Amen.

Praying Our History
On May 24, 1738, John Wesley experienced an inner heartwarming conversion that propelled him to begin a revival throughout England. He formed converts into societies for "experimental religion" (a religion of personal experience). Smaller classes were developed for more intense training in the faith.

Wesley's ministry among the working classes led eventually to the formation of new denominations in the United States and Great Britain.

Closing Prayer
O Jesus, poor and abject, unknown and despised, have mercy upon me, and let me not be ashamed to follow thee.
O Jesus, clothed with a habit of reproach and shame, have mercy upon me, and let me not seek my own glory.
O Jesus, crowned with thorns and hailed in derision;
O Jesus, burdened with our sins and the curses of the people;
O Jesus, affronted, outraged, buffeted, overwhelmed with injuries, griefs and humiliations;
O Jesus, hanging on the accursed tree, bowing the head, giving up the ghost, have mercy upon me, and conform my whole soul to thy holy, humble, suffering Spirit.


source of both prayers: John Wesley

No comments:

Post a Comment