Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Wednesday, May 27, 2009


Come, Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of the faithful and kindle in them the fire of your love. Send forth your Holy Spirit and they shall be created and you will renew the face of the earth.

A Word from Scripture

The hand of the Lord came upon me, and he brought me out by the spirit of the Lord and set me down in the middle of a valley; it was full of bones. He led me all around them; there were very many lying in the valley, and they were very dry. He said to me, “Mortal, can these bones live?” I answered, “O Lord God, you know.” Then he said to me, “Prophesy to these bones, and say to them: O dry bones, hear the word of the Lord. Thus says the Lord God to these bones: I will cause breath to enter you, and you shall live. I will lay sinews on you, and will cause flesh to come upon you, and cover you with skin, and put breath in you, and you shall live; and you shall know that I am the Lord.” Ezekiel 37:1-6

Reflection Questions

What would it mean for you to be "in a valley of dry bones?" Have you ever had an experience that felt that way? Recall the circumstances, the emotions, and your response.

Remember a time when the wind blew upon you in a most refreshing and renewing way. Again, what were the circumstances . . . your emotions . . . your response?

A Prayer for the Day

Creator God and Giver of life, make the dry, bleached bones of our lives live and breath and grow again as you did of old. Pour out your Spirit upon the whole of creation. Come in rushing wind and flashing fire to turn the sin and sorrow within us into faith, power, and delight. Amen

source: Creator God and Giver of Life - Revised Common Lectionary Prayers, The Consultation on Common Texts

No comments:

Post a Comment