Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Wednesday, May 13, 2009


All shall be well
and
all shall be well
and
all manner of things shall be well.
Julian

Today we shall include a commemoration of Julian of Norwich (1342-1413?) in our prayer. Julian was an anchorite. Anchorites took vows of isolation to devote themselves to prayer. They lived in cells on the outside walls of the church. Each cell had a window looking into the church to enable the anchorites to participate in worship and the sacraments and a window facing out onto the main street of the town. Anyone seeking spiritual guidance could speak to the anchorites in their cells.

A Reading
God showed me a hazelnut, in the palm of my hand, and it was round as a ball. In this little thing I saw three characteristics. The first is that God made it, the second is that God loves it, and the third, that God keeps or cares for it. But what does this mean to me, that God is Maker, Keeper, Lover? Until I am united with God, I will never understand the bliss of God as my maker, keeper, or lover. Or, to put it another way, I want to be so united with God that there is nothing between my God and me.

A Word from Scripture
O Lord, you have searched me and known me.
You know when I sit down and when I rise up;
you discern my thoughts from far away.
You search out my path and my lying down
and are acquainted with all my ways.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
it is so high that I cannot attain it.
Psalm 139: 1-3,6

A Reflection Question

How have you experienced God as Maker . . . Lover . . . Keeper?

Benediction
Ring out, the bells of Norwich, and let the winter come and go.
All shall be well again, I know.

Love like the yellow daffodil is coming through the snow.
Ring for the yellow daffodil, and tell them what I know,

All shall be well again, I'm telling you, let the winter come and go.
All shall be well again, I know.


sources
God showed me a hazelnut - Julian, Revelations of Divine Love
Ring out the bells of Norwich - Sydney Carter, lyrics, Julian of Norwich



No comments:

Post a Comment